• Telephone: (830) 629-6955

Speeding & Traffic Tickets

Traffic Ticket Lawyer
  • Comal County | Guadalupe County | Bexar County | Kendall County

The Driver Responsibility Program

This new law assesses surcharges based on certain traffic offenses that have occurred on or after September 1, 2003.  There are two criteria: the point system and conviction based surcharges.

The Point System:

Once a conviction for a traffic violation has been added to a driver's record, points will be assigned and will remain on the driver's record for three years. Point are assigned as follows: 2 points for a moving violation conviction; 3 points for a moving violation that resulted in a crash. Once a driver's record acquires 6 points, the driver will be required to pay an annual surcharge. The surcharge is $100 for 6 points, and $25 for each additional point. The driver's record is reviewed annually to assess surcharges.

Conviction Based Surcharges:

Drivers who are convicted of the following offenses will pay a surcharge for a period of three years from the date of conviction.

  • DWI - 1st Offense
  • DWI - 2nd Offense
  • DWI w/BAC of .16+
  • No Insurance
  • Driving While License Invalid
  • No Driver License
    Annual Surcharge:
    • $1,000
    • $1,500
    • $2,000
    • $250
    • $250
    • $100

Paying Your Surcharge:

If a surcharge is assessed, the driver will be notified by DPS by mail. Installment plans are available. If the driver does not pay the surcharge within 30 days or fails to comply with the installment plan, their driving privileges will be suspended until the surcharge is paid in full.

What should I do if I get a ticket for one of these offenses?

You should be aware that enough points, or a conviction for one of the above offenses will cost you more money in order to keep your driving privileges from being suspended. Hiring an attorney may help you keep these convictions off your driving record. Most municipal and JP courts do not require personal appearances on tickets if any attorney has been retained on the charge.

Would you like to speak with us?

If so, please do not hesitate to give us a call or click the contact button to send us an email.